I found this video on my Friend Joe’s, Peace Church, website. The video presents an argument for why we ought to take the climate crisis seriously, regardless of whether you believe that there is an actual crisis or not. What do you think, do you find this guy’s argument convincing?
Today thousands of bloggers are writing posts on their sites trying to raise awareness on environmental issues. More and more people everyday are growing in their concern for our daily impact on the environment. I’ve written a lot about this, and will continue to do so, not because I am some specialist or know much about the issues but because it is something that is close to my heart and I want to learn more. I want to leave a beautiful world for our children. There are all kinds of things we can do to help take care of the planet, from walking and riding bikes instead of driving, to being more aware of (and cutting down on) the plastic packages the stuff we purchase comes in. But one really fun thing you can do is start a garden and a compost. Whether you live in rural America or a 1-bedroom apartment in a huge city like LA (that’s us) there’s almost always a little space for a garden and compost bin.
Some of you may be interested in joining in the event planned for this Monday. Blogactionday.org is calling for all bloggers to discuss one issue, the environment. They’ve are already close to 14,000 blogs who have signed up to write something. I’ve got a couple ideas up my sleeves, but not sure which one I am going to use yet (I don’t want it to be a repeat for those of you whole already know how I feel about the issue). If you’re interested in checking out more about the what the Blog Action Day site has put together, check out their great list of compiled websites and other resources on their resource page. And here is a short intro video they’ve put together for YouTube.
Every week I post a random assortment of links, videos, pictures just for fun. In this week’s edition of “Dress Down Friday” I have found some fun stuff this week ranging from LA Metro/Google Map Mashups and new solar powered messenger bags!
- For wordpress users who have your own hosting, check out this theme generator. And here’s a great looking grid-styled theme similar to the one I use.
- This week I found out about a couple treats from google. First, not only does google offer a really nice word processor and spreadsheet for free, but now you can also make presentations (just like in powerpoint). Second, they’ve started their own bookmarking and sharing service and it looks pretty nice.
- Sigur Ros has a new movie coming out.
- Twitter friend, Vanessa, has posted some great resources on “Baby Steps Toward Greener Life.” Or you could just buy this, I wonder if you can power appliances off it?
- OK, This is pretty funny.
- And now on to Los Angeles: Check out this list of google map mashups for all you Angelenos. And even better is this google maps powered LA metro map.
- If you haven’t updated handbrake you need to check the new version out. Handbrake easily rips videos off DVDs and puts them on your computer or ipod.
- And finally, look at all the new Wes Anderson commercials. This should help get you ready for his film Darjeeling Limited which comes out next week.
If you’d like to get Dress Down Friday in your email inbox every Friday, subscribe here.