This is the message I gave at Camas Friends Church, June 24, 2012.
“People were bringing little children to him in order that he might touch them; and the disciples spoke sternly to them. But when Jesus saw this, he was indignant and said to them, “Let the little children come to me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs. Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it.” And he took them up in his arms, laid his hands on them, and blessed them.” (Mark 10:13–16 NRSV)
- What is hard for you to grasp about what Jesus says here?
- What is easy for you to grasp what Jesus says here?
- How do you think those around him would have responded when he said this?
- What do you think he meant by “whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it?”
- Why do you think children hold such high esteem in Jesus understanding of spirituality?