For this Dress Down Friday I did a little research to see what happened on the day baby L. was born. I found a number of lists for “This Day in History.” Here’s a few things:
- 1835 — The first issue of The Blade newspaper is published in Toledo, Ohio (Where her grandparents now live).
- 1843 — Dickens’ A Christmas Carol is published in England.
- 1963 — Zanzibar receives its independence from the United Kingdom, to become a constitutional monarchy under Sultan Jamshid bin Abdullah of Zanzibar.
- 1972 — The last manned lunar flight, Apollo 17, crewed by Eugene Cernan, Ron Evans and Harrison Schmitt, returns to Earth.
- 1998 – Lewinsky scandal: The United States House of Representatives forwards articles I and III of impeachment against President Bill Clinton to the Senate.
- 2001 — The fire at the World Trade Center, as a result of the September 11, 2001 attacks, is finally extinguished after three months.
- 2003 – Nepal financial crisis leads hundreds to protest outside of presidential palace.
- 2007 — Baby Daniels is born!
News headlines from this past Wednesday
- House Passes Energy Bill
- A few top stories from the Guardian:
The comeback kid: Jason Bateman – We went out and watched Juno, Tuesday night (December 18th), while emily was having contractions about 10 min. apart. Labour MPs ‘appalled’ by Brown’s speeches, says former minister. And Take your android by the hand.
- Here are a few stories from the New York Times:
Enron Case Settled. For Now, U.S. Wont Cap Flights Per Hour at J.F.K. The opening of Memorial for Sept. 11 has been Postponed. Here is to a long life, Living to 100, and Looking Back on a Legacy of New York Jazz. And finally, Russia and Poland to Discuss U.S. Missile Shield.
- And the 19th falls in between two great Sundays for the Cleveland Browns who won this past Sunday and have a chance to make it to the playoffs this Sunday.
It was an eventful day!