Another student in my class posted this last week. And I found it to be down right
amazing. He found this list from good ol’ Richard Foster, fellow Friend.
Foster provides some ideas on simplifying.???
1. Buy things for their usefulness rather than their status.
2. Reject anything that is producing an addiction in you.
3. Develop a habit of giving things away.
4. Refuse to be propagandized by the custodians of modern gadgetry.
5. Learn to enjoy things without owning them.
6. Develop a deeper appreciation for creation.
7. Look with a healthy skepticism at all buy now, pay later??? schemes.
8. Obey Jesus instructions about plain, honest speech.
9. Reject anything that breeds the oppression of others.
10. Shun anything that distracts you from seeking first the kingdom of God.
Richard Foster, Simplicity.??? Celebration of Discipline. Rev. Ed. New York: Harper, 1998. On pages 90-95 he lists ten practical steps for simplifying our lifestyles. Very practical (more anon).